Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Why I did it

I'm the only male in the family with a blog. MChester has one and it talks all about Chuckwalla and Pummelo, which makes my blog thus far redundant.

So why is it here?

Actually I've been debating having a blog since MChes created hers over a year ago. My main motivations:

1. To keep journal which can be stored for my kids in place of the solid journal I don't have
2. To write about the things I care about, since I like to write but never have an outlet

The reason why I always decided not to blog is that the "things I care about" are potentially controversial. I don't worry much about controversy generally, but in the context of the family it could be trouble. If I write "I like to beat up puppies" or "I like to cuddle with chipmunks" [neither of which is strictly true], then the puppy lovers and chipmunk haters in the family would never look at me the same again. It isn't a matter of offense; I think we're all more mature than that [and I'm not going to accuse anyone of smelling like gorgonzola]. It's a matter of preserving the peace by avoiding debate and judgement.

So what changed? Why did I decide to blog after all?

Part of the reason why I caved is the litany of amazing things that Chuckwalla does. It no longer seems fair to let her antics be forgotten and unremarked just because I'm scared of offending people I love.

Another part of the reason is... I have no idea, it was completely impulsive. I'm thinking about removing the blog altogether. I can help MChes update hers with Chuckwalla and Pummelo stories and photos and perhaps run an anonymous opinionator somewhere else.

Any thoughts? Until I figure this out, I'll stick to reviewing books I've been reading. That's benign enough, right?

5 comments:

Katie Richins said...

I may be a hypocrite in saying this, because I DO obsess about not stepping on toes (even though I do if often, through clumsiness), but I feel something now that I didn't really before about our family. I think we are at places individually where we can recognize that we are very different, and still support and love each other. I haven't always felt that was possible, and I don't really know what has changed - maybe I'm just more tolerant inside myself and the rest of you figured this out long ago? - but I can honestly say that if you told me you liked beating puppies or whatevertheheck you said, I'd still love you and talk to you and all, and you'd sill be my cute little brother TroDEAN!
You know what I's sayin'? I'm just all for more communication in general, and more contact, too.

I've said it lots recently - we are going to be family forever, so why not figure out how to just accept and get along now, and make the time pass that much more enjoyably?

Trying not to be hypocritical,
K to the T

and ps, Chris did have a blog once, and maybe we could talk him into a resurrection so you wouldn't feel so alone/effeminate.)

trogonpete said...

Who said I was feeling effeminate?? Ok, fine. I did. Anyway, you're right, I think, but I'm still scared. What was Chris' blog addy?

Real said...

Not true about you being the only male in the family with a blog. You weren't even the first.

Anonymous said...

This is Anonymous CF
Posting like TIAA without the CREF
I had a blog some 4 years ago
As a new practice was being built, yo!
Then I didn't post and don't remember where
So I started a new one since last year
On Sept three oh I did start again
It's found on the internet, again I pen
If you want to see it, that's fine I think
Just send me an e-mail, I'll send the link

Anonymous said...

Stay, said she who is short on time. I mean, why not? WE want it, YOU want it. You can't beat that.

M>