Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Chucricket

Chuckwalla woke up extra early this morning. I went in to check on her, and she pointed to the wall and told me there was a cricket there. She wasn't scared, just excited that there was a cricket in her bedroom!

There wasn't a cricket there.

So I tried to put her back to sleep but she kept on telling me there was a cricket on the wall.

So I checked again, and I noticed that there was a shadow coming from a street light passing through the top of a crib. It cast a long horizontal shadow with a very abstract insect-looking silouette--complete with 3 blocky legs--onto the wall. A cricket.

So I turned on the light and showed her that there was no cricket, it's just a shadow. She was a little disappointed but satisfied.

I wonder what being 20-months-old is like. The world must seem very different! I'm glad she knew the word for cricket and the concept of shadows, because otherwise I never would have been able to get back to sleep [I nearly didn't anyway].

No comments: